Monday, November 22, 2010

A fresh Start

Although I have not posted in a few months, lots of stuff has been going on. Unfortunately, when you have to choose between family, work, running, eating, sleeping, and blogging, I'm sure you know which gets cut first. And unfortunately, sleeping was the next to go......Some highs and lows from the past 2 months:

Ashley and I got to both run in the world's largest and greatest marathon, the NYC Marathon. It was a memorable experience to both be in it for the 4th year and share it with Ash. My race turned out disastrous, with foot pains by mile 10, forcing me to limp through the last 10 miles. It was frustrating and extremely disappointing, having spent most of the year leading up to this. But, on the bright side....Ash ran a PR by more than 20 minutes and completed her first marathon in 6 years. It was a great day for the family

4 Weeks prior, I ran in the Staten Island Half Marathon, a lead up to the NYC. While I knew i was in good shape, i had no idea how good. I set out and planned to race at a 5:45 pace, my eventual marathon pace (or what i was aiming for). I went out easy in the race, and settled into my pace, not too far off the lead pack. As the race went, i kept my pace, and those in front began to slow. I picked off runners one by one, and before i knew it, i was in 5th place with 4 miles to go!! I kept racing hard, dropping the fourth place runner and pulling even with the 3rd place guy at mile 12. Knowing how tired I was by then, i decided to kick it in then and hopefully break his spirit before the straight away. It worked, and i beat him by 20 seconds with a time of 1:14:38, a new PR by a minute and the fastest i had run since 2007! It was an amazing and surprising day and looking back, at least 1 fast time came out of my year long training.

I took 2 weeks off after the NYC marathon, no running at all. Yesterday I ran in a 5K Cross country race up at Van Cortland Park in the Bronx, one of the premier off cross country courses in the nation. It was brutal!!! But an experience. I ran 17:29 and just missed an age group award. It was cool to be out there, and it was a good kickoff to training again.

Over the next year, i am going to focus on half marathons, as these marathons are just beating me up, and the time commitment to do them right is just not there. I probably won't do another one till next fall.

So, that's the update, hopefully i can find some time to blog....if not, I'll still be running, and you can see snippets of that on Facebook and The Goodwin Blog!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

SO proud of all you have done, despite your set-backs with training time...and grateful that you invariably choose your family over running even though it is a sacrifice for you...the sleep you miss is often the sleep I get...onward and upward with the half-marathons, babe!

My most recent run